Nyíregyháza – Roman Catholic Church
The Neo-Romanesque church, found in the heart of Nyíregyháza, was built from the donation of the Archbishop of Eger, József Samassa, in 1902-1904. The parish church of the Virgin Mary, Our Lady of the Hungarians, has been a joint cathedral of the Debrecen-Nyíregyháza diocese since 1993. With its twin towers, beautiful proportions, structural integrity and clean style, it is an outstanding example of clerical architecture in Hungary. It was designed by Virgil Nagy and József Kommer, architects from Budapest. The layout of the church is based upon a Roman cross. A bust of the church builder, Archbishop Samassa, is seen in a niche in the southern tower of the church. The rosace on the facade contains the picture of St. Cecilia, patron saint of the church. It is the work of Miksa Róth, stained glass supplier to the royal court.
The same master produced the stained votive picture, located high in the sanctuary, and depicts archbishop József Samassa, builder of the church, as he expresses his devotion to the Holy Family.
Cím: 4400 Nyíregyháza Kossuth tér 4.