It is located in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county, in the middle of Nyírség, east of Nyíregyháza, next to the main road 41 and the Nyíregyháza-Vásárosnamény railway line.
Vaja 8 km, Vásárosnamény 18 km, Székely 15 km, Apagy 11 km, Besenyőd 6.5 km away.History According to the finds found here, Baktalórántháza and its surroundings have been inhabited since ancient times.
It was established in 1932 by merging two settlements, Nyírbakta and Lórántháza.
The name of Nyírbakta can be found in writing in the donation letter of István V. in 1282, in which Illés Bogdai donates the property called Kiskércs to the neighboring.
In 1310, Mihály's son István, the grandson of the Balog-Semjén family, donated his estate, but two of his fellow protesters protested against his incorporation, so the Kállais ceded the Baktá, and theirs and the Kállaians remained until the end of the 16th century, when they became the Báthori family.
In 1630 it was given to the Barkóczy and Szentiványi families.
It was received in 1638 by Anna Péchy, the wife of László Barkóczy, and its castle is already standing. Through it, the Péchy family also became owners for a while, but István Bethlen and Péter also took part here.
The Barkóczy part was given to Sándor Károlyi at the end of the 17th century by the hand of Krisztina Barkóczy, then it became the property of Gábor Haller at the end of the 18th century as a dowry of Sándor Károlyi's daughter.
He moved from the Haller family to the Bárczay family.
At the beginning of the 19th century, Anna Bökönyi and Pál Bökönyi boarded with Pál Bökönyi's foster daughter, Paulina, with the hands of Count Imre Dégenfeld, and they remained with them until 1945.
The name of Lórántháza is first mentioned in written sources in the 16th century.
At the beginning of the 1600s, the settlement was owned by the Bethlen family and then by the Rákóczi family.
The village has been owned by the Károlyi family since the fall of the Rákóczi War of Independence, and by the Degenfeld family from the first decades of the 19th century until 1945.
Nyírbakta was first the seat of the Nyírbaktai district in the middle of the 19th century, which was then reorganized only in 1912. After the unification, the name of the seat became Baktalórántháza from 1933, but the district was renamed only during the 1950 district planning, and then the Baktalórántházi district, which was established in 1970, was finally abolished.
The Kisvárda – Baktalórántháza railway line connecting the Baktalórántháza railway station with the Kisvárda railway station was built in 1912 - it was closed on 31 December 1973.
In 1993, it was given the rank of a city.